Intellectual property now accounts for 25% of America’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Your business is far more than bricks and mortar, inventory and investment, a balance sheet and book value. It’s the culmination of creativity, innovation, reputation, service, branding, content, and calculated risk. Intellectual property law is all about developing, securing, leveraging, and protecting this “intellectual capital.”
Our Intellectual Property attorneys practice in the following areas:
- Intellectual Property Counseling
- Intellectual Property Audit
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Enforcement & Protection
- Patent Prosecution & Procurement
- Trade Secrets
- Internet Law
- Rights of Publicity
Intellectual Property law services include:
- IP Counseling – We understand that the key to helping you succeed is first to learn what your business is about. Then, together, we can identify, protect, leverage, and then defend what is most important to furthering your business goals. We want to help you avoid costly litigation but still protect your right to use the innovations and brands you have developed.
- IP Audit – We can assess your intellectual capital, how to value it, and how to protect it. An IP Audit will identify concerns, risks, potential infringement claims, as well as potential trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, and patents. An IP Audit also provides you with a cost-effective road map consistent with your business goals to secure your innovations. We can determine if policy changes, licenses, assignments, or employment and non-disclosure agreements are solutions to protecting your IP. If registering trademarks and copyrights or securing patents is the solution for your needs, we can help you with these services as well.
- IP Litigation – We approach litigation with your ends and benefits in mind. Rather than merely limiting solutions to litigation, we explore and leverage business, market, regulatory, and government solutions as well. Patent, trademark, and copyright litigation is daunting and expensive, requiring counsel with specialized knowledge and experience. We have this experience and know that when trademarks, copyrights, patents, trade secrets, or domain names are infringed and can move quickly to obtain court orders to secure and defend what has been taken. We know that litigation is never convenient and costly. We are available to our clients around the clock to guide them through the process.
- Trademarks– Your Trademarks are your story. They help you stand out from the crowd, build your reputation, and tell the world you are a source of excellence, reliability, and value. We work with you to help secure great marks. We can search for mark availability and file trademark applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and internationally. We can help manage your trademark portfolio and help you develop policies that enhance value and preserve your rights. We look for cost-effective solutions that best meet your goals.
- Copyrights – An author, programmer, artist, or songwriter owns the copyright to their work. But, copyrights can be deceptively complex. What if someone else commissioned the work, the code was written on a company computer, the movie script was based on another’s novel, or the song was performed to another’s score? We work with you to identify your valuable copyrights, obtain federal registrations where appropriate, and help you set up policies and procedures to lessen the complexity and give you comfort that your content is secure.
- Patent Enforcement and Protection – We understand what it takes to defend a patent and to enforce one. If you need to go on the offense or defense with your patents, we have the expertise and experience to see your endeavor through.
- Patent Prosecution and Procurement – We can consult with you on obtaining a patent. We have experts in specific technologies and can administratively obtain patents in the US and worldwide for your innovations.
- Trade Secrets – The value of trade secrets lies in the fact that the information is not publicly known. Trade secrets are the manufacturing process, design information, formula, vendor list, demographic analysis, product use information, recruiting strategy or marketing policy that gives your business an edge. To protect this valuable information, you need to understand its value, identify who has access to it, and implement appropriate policies to prevent it from unwittingly losing its status as a “protectable trade secret.” We can help you secure your trade secrets, and if necessary, take action, including going to court to protect them.
- Internet Law – The Internet creates unique challenges for businesses. Intellectual property is routinely appropriated or disparaged by people in locations outside of legal enforcement. We have experience addressing these concerns and the issues unique to the Internet. We can help you develop privacy policies and website agreements, and work with ISP’s to secure, recover, or shut down domain names. We stand ready to file a federal cyberpiracy action or bring an administrative dispute under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) to secure your valuable domain names, curtail unfair registrations by competitors, and preserve your valuable websites and Internet presence.
- Rights of Publicity – Perhaps you are a famous athlete, artist, or person. You worked hard to make your name and likeness famous, with the ability to earn revenue by lending your personal “brand” to products and services. If someone takes your likeness without your consent, we are prepared to assist you in stopping the infringement and getting fair compensation for the misappropriation. We are very familiar with the rights of publicity in the various US States and can advise and assist our clients in securing and protecting their rights of publicity.