Aaron Maurice grew up in Seal Beach, California. Mr. Maurice obtained his B.S. in Political Science from Loyola Marymount in 1994 and his J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law in 1997. Following law school, Mr. Maurice joined the law firm of Rawlings, Olson, Cannon, Gormley & Desruisseaux. By 2001, Mr. Maurice was heading-up the firm’s commercial litigation section. In May of 2003, Mr. Maurice joined the law firm that would become Woods Erickson Whitaker & Maurice LLP. There, he developed a practice group that focused almost exclusively on title and escrow litigation.
On May 1, 2013, Mr. Maurice joined Kolesar & Leatham. At Kolesar & Leatham, Mr. Maurice conducts a broad‐based litigation practice, with an emphasis on title and escrow litigation. Mr. Maurice is regularly retained by some of the nation’s largest title insurance companies to provide coverage analysis and to defend their policyholders against adverse claims to their title. Because of his reputation in the courtroom, Mr. Maurice has been asked to serve as lead counsel in a number of cases outside of Nevada. To date, Mr. Maurice has accepted such representation in cases pending in federal and state courts in Alaska, Arizona and Illinois.
When he is not working, Mr. Maurice can be found at one of the various aquatic facilities in the Las Vegas Valley, rooting on his daughter’s swim team, or at one of the Valley’s many baseball complexes, rooting on his son’s baseball team.
Professional or Trade Affiliations:
- American Bar Association – TIPS Title Insurance Litigation Section
- Clark County Bar Association
Honors & Awards:
- Law Review Distinguished Service Award
- Moot Court Board Award for the Promotion of Trial Advocacy
- City of North Las Vegas v. Pardee Const. Co. of Nevada, 117 Nev. 260, 21 P.3d 8 (Nev. 2001).
- NorthStar Trekking LLC v. United States of America, 637 F. Supp. 2d 676 (D. Alaska 2009).
- Kim v. Kearney, 838 F. Supp. 2d 1077 (D. Nev. 2012).
- Aspen Financial Services v. Dist. Ct., 128 Nev. Adv. Op. 57, 289 P.3d 201 (Nev. 2012).
- Full House, Inc. v. Jolley Urga Wirth Woodbury & Standish, et al. – Obtained summary judgment for a national title company against claims of negligence related to lapsed UCC-1 filings. Awarded and collected a six figure award of attorney’s fees and costs in connection with the same.
- Sunrise Paving, Inc. v. Blackstone Capital Group, LLC, et al. – Obtained summary judgment establishing the priority of a construction lender’s $21.5 million deed of trust over competing mechanics lien claimants.
- Metcalf Builders, Inc. v. Belvedere, LLC, et al. – Defended (through trial) the priority of a $5 million security interest held by a California bank against mechanics lien claimants seeking in excess of $30 million.
- NSPCA v. Fidelity National Title Agency of Nevada, Inc. et al. – Defended an escrow agent against claims of intentional wrongdoing by a non-profit entity that was defrauded by one of its own board members.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Board Member, Nevada Chapter, 2015 – 2017
- Summerlin South Little League, Coach, 2012-2015
- Mr. Maurice is an avid sports fan (traveling multiple times throughout the year to root on his favorite teams) and he loves classic movies (if he could only have one channel, it would be TCM).