Bob Caldwell is a Shareholder of Kolesar & Leatham, focusing his practice on business and complex civil litigation, including international litigation and arbitration, class actions, intellectual property, lender liability and product liability matters. Caldwell also handles sports, entertainment and employment law matters, both transactional and litigation. He joined the firm in 2002, after practicing law in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Prior to law school, Caldwell worked for U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell in Washington, D.C., advising the Senator on matters of military and foreign affairs.
Caldwell is active in the leadership of multiple bar associations. He currently serves as Revenue Officer of the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section and as President of the Litigation Commission of the Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA/International Association of Lawyers). Caldwell is also an accomplished author. The multi-volume book he authored for Thomson Reuters/West, “Handling Business Tort Cases,” was published internationally in 2015. In addition to his legal activities, Caldwell is also a licensed referee and referee instructor for the U.S. Soccer Federation.
Professional or Trade Affiliations:
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section; Revenue Officer (2014-2016); Council Member (2009-2016); Chair-Elect, International Law Committee (2017); Chair, Business Litigation Committee (2008-2009)
- Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA/International Association of Lawyers); President, Litigation Commission (2014-Present); Vice-President, Sports Law Commission (2016-Present); Member, Governing Board (2014-Present)
- State Bar of Nevada, Southern Nevada Disciplinary Board (2014-Present)
- Sports Lawyers Association
Honors & Awards:
- SuperLawyer in Business Litigation, SuperLawyers Magazine (2013-2017)
- SuperLawyer “Rising Star” in Business Litigation, SuperLawyers Magazine (2009, 2011, 2012)
- 100 Hours Club, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Children’s Advocacy Program (2012, 2013)
- Legal Elite (Top 150 attorneys in Southern Nevada), Nevada Business Magazine (2012, 2017)
- Fellow, ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (2011)
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation (2010)
- “A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions” (Nevada Chapter), Robert J. Caldwell and F. Shane Jackson, edited by Marcy Hogan Greer, ABA Publishing, 2d ed. 2017.
- “Handling Business Tort Cases” (Two-Volume Treatise), Joel W. Mohrman and Robert J. Caldwell, Thomson Reuters (West Publishing), December 2015.
- “Ten Tips for Summer Clerks, “ Student TIPSter, American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Spring 2011.
- “Practical Considerations in Debt Collection,” Business Litigation Newsletter, American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Business Litigation Committee, Fall 2005.
- “Bringing a Gun to a Knife Fight: Using Business Torts to Win Commercial Cases,” 2017 Section Conference of the ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (Chicago, Illinois), April 27, 2017.
- “Litigation and Sports: It’s Not All Fun and Games (Recent Developments in Concussion Litigation),” 60th Congress of the Congress of the Union Internationale des Avocats, Joint Session of the Litigation, Sports Law and Tort Law Commissions (Budapest, Hungary), October 31, 2016.
- “Latest Developments in Sports Gambling,” Annual Meeting of the ABA Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries (Las Vegas, Nevada), October 7, 2016.
- “Ethically Representing Athletes and Celebrities in Difficult Situations,” Annual Meeting of the ABA Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries (Las Vegas, Nevada), October 6, 2016.
- “Latest Trends in Sports Law in Europe and the United States – Views from Both Sides of the Atlantic,” Union Internationale des Avocats, Sports Law Commission (Miami, Florida), March 31-April 1, 2016.
- “Litigation in the Internet Age,” 59th Congress of the Union Internationale des Avocats, Litigation Commission (Valencia, Spain), October 31, 2015.
- “Representing Clients in Sports Law Matters,” NALS National Forum (Las Vegas, Nevada), October 8, 2015.
- “Hot Topics in Nevada Sports Law,” Sports Lawyers Association and the William S. Boyd School of Law (Las Vegas, Nevada), February 21, 2014
- “Foreign Investment in Sports Teams,” 58th Congress of the Union Internationale des Avocats, Sports Law Commission (Florence, Italy), October 30, 2014.
- “Emerging Issues in Motor Vehicle Product Liability Litigation – Bridging the Divide: Plaintiff and Defense Counsel Mediation Summit,” American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (Phoenix, Arizona), April 4, 2014.
- “The Litigation Gamble: Representing Gaming Companies in Litigation,” 57th Congress of the Union Internationale des Avocats, Litigation Commission (Macau S.A.R., China), November 2, 2013.
- “Match Fixing and Other Frauds in Sports (Keynote Address),” 56th Congress of the Union Internationale des Avocats, Sports Law Commission (Dresden, Germany), November 1, 2012.
- “Doing Business in the United States: What You Need to Know About Investing, Product Liability and Dispute Resolution,” China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (Beijing, China), April 2012.
- “I’m Getting My J.D.; Now What? A Forum on How to Get your First Job,” ABA Midyear Meeting (Atlanta, Georgia), February 2011.
- “Careers in Sports Law,” Sports and Entertainment Law Society, UNLV Boyd School of Law (Las Vegas, Nevada), November 2010.
- “Legal Challenges to Chinese Companies Doing Business in the United States,” Tsinghua University School of Law (Beijing, China), September 2009.
- “Masters of the Courtroom: A Display of Innovative and Proven Trial Techniques,” American Bar Association, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, Trial Techniques Committee (Phoenix, Arizona), March 2008.
- “Planning and Taking an Effective Deposition,” American Bar Association Midyear Meeting (Los Angeles, California), February 2008.
- “Nevada Employment Law Update,” National Business Institute (Las Vegas, Nevada), 2006.
In the News:
- Foundation strong for UNLV men’s soccer – Las Vegas Review Journal
- Long-time friendship helped attorney break into sports law – Las Vegas Review Journal
- Kolesar & Leatham attorney elected to prestigious international law post
- Robert J. Caldwell Named Officer of American Bar Association Section – Attorney At Law Magazine
- Kolesar & Leatham Attorney Addresses Chinese Audience On International Law
- What is the greatest lesson you learned from your parents? – Nevada Business Magazine
- Robert J. Caldwell – Nevada Business Magazine
- US attorney with a penchant for soccer visits young kicker
- Parke, et al. v. Nissan North America, Inc.
- Carpenter v. Henderson Hyundai Superstore, Inc., et al.
- Sharon v. Nissan Motor Company in USA, et al.
- Jones-Jefferson v. Nissan North America, Inc., et al.
- Bryan Brey v. M&I Bank, FSB, et al.
- In the Appeal of K.A.G. and H.M.G.
- World Omni Financial Corp. v. Towbin Jeep-Eagle, Inc.
- Buehler v. Mallo
- Avaness v. Greenwich Global Trust and Mortgage, et al.
- Grade 7 Referee, United States Soccer Federation
- Referee Instructor, United States Soccer Federation
- Referee, Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association
- Board of Directors, UNLV Rebel Soccer Foundation
- Pro Bono Advocate, Childrens’ Advocacy Project, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
- Speaks German
- Volunteers to host international soccer players during the Las Vegas Mayor’s Cup International Showcase
- Twice hosted exchange students
- Have attended four World Cups and four Olympic Games