Mr. Burns received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami in 1982. He was selected for the prestigious John M. Olin Fellowship in law and economics while attending law school. He received his Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi, in 1974. He received a Master of Arts degree in economics from the University of Hawaii in 1976 and completed all requirements except the dissertation for a Ph.D. in economics.
Mr. Burns is a member of the State Bar of Nevada, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the District of Nevada, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States Tax Court.
Mr. Burns was formerly an attorney in the Office of District Counsel to the Internal Revenue Service in the Reno and Las Vegas offices. During his tenure with the Internal Revenue Service, he was the primary legal counsel for a study to determine whether gaming should be a national coordinated specialization. He was instrumental in developing a number of Internal Revenue Service positions on gaming.
Professional or Trade Affiliations:
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Co-author, “Business Law and Taxes: A Desk Guide,” Wylie & Sons, 1984
- Contributing Author to “Legal Environment of Business, Government Regulation, and Public Policy Analysis,” Southwestern Publishing Company, 1986
- Opportunity Village, Foundation Board, 1986-2001
- Boy Scouts of America, Cub Scout Leader & Cub Master, 1997-2005