Joseph W. Brown practices in the areas of government affairs, administrative law and business law. He is a former appointee of President Ronald Reagan to the State Justice Institute and the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission of the United States (1981-88) and has served as an officer or director of many businesses, civic and charitable organizations including the Nature Conservancy, the Department of Wildlife, the Nevada Development Authority, the Nevada Athletic Commission, Wells Fargo Bank, and as a commissioner for the Nevada Gaming Commission. He is the Founder and former Vice Chair of the Nevada Military Support Alliance.
Mr. Brown is AV® Preeminent TM Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell. He is listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America in the field of government relations law and was also recognized by Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top business and corporate lawyers in the five-state mountain region, as well as being named to the Super Lawyers Business Edition and the Best Lawyers in America list. In addition, Mr. Brown served as Chairman of the Government Affairs Practice Group of Terralex, a top-tier, international law networking organization which serves client legal needs and business interests through a worldwide network of leading law firms. As a former Commissioner of the Nevada Athletic Commission, Mr. Brown has developed a practice in the area of sports law.
Mr. Brown holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Washington & Lee University and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Virginia. He is admitted to practice before the state and federal courts of Nevada and the District of Columbia. In December 2012, he was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Law degree by the University of Nevada Las Vegas, and in 2013 he was given the Outstanding Alumnus Award by the Washington and Lee University School of Law. He is also a recipient of the prestigious Patrick Henry award from the National Guard Association of the United States.
Professional and Community Activities:
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Nevada; District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- Commander, Nellis Air Force Base Support Team
- Founder, Nevada Military Support Alliance
- Commissioner, Nevada Gaming Commission (2009-2015)
- Member, Board of Directors, Las Vegas Global Economic Alliance
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Bank of America, Nevada, 1985-1994
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Wells Fargo Bank, 2001-2010
- Member, National Advisory Council, Western Folklife Center
- Foundation Fellow, Desert Research Institute
- United States Marine Corps Reserve, 1963-1969
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®, Government Relations, 2007-2016
- Mountain States Super Lawyers®, Business/Corporate, 2007-2015
- Recipient, 2013 Outstanding Alumnus Award, Washington and Lee School of Law
- Nevada’s Best Lawyers ®, 2013
- Top Lawyers, Vegas Inc., 2013
- Vegas Dozen, Class of 2013
- “Legal Elite,” Nevada Business Magazine, 2015