Mr. Balkenbush’s litigation practice is focused on complex civil litigation in both state and federal court involving breach of contract actions, property and construction disputes, and surety related litigation involving deposit bonds and performance bonds.
During law school, Mr. Balkenbush was an Articles Editor for the Nevada Law Journal and worked as an extern for Judge Nancy Allf in the Eighth Judicial District Court.
Professional or Trade Affiliations:
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
Honors & Awards:
- Merit Based Full Tuition Academic Scholarship for Law School
- CALI Awards (Highest Grade in a Single Class): Constitutional Law II, Real Estate Finance, Lawyering Process III: Litigation, and Conflicts of Law
- Clark County School District v. Travelers; As counsel to the Clark County School District, Mr. Balkenbush successfully litigated a breach of performance bond action against a large surety resulting in the recovery of $5 million in liquidated damages, one of the largest recoveries ever for a public entity in Nevada.
- As counsel to a large corporate client, Mr. Balkenbush successfully voided a multi-million dollar construction contract based on certain licensing issues.
- As counsel to a local developer, Mr. Balkenbush successfully sued the project architect for breaching its contractual and fiduciary duties to the developer by accepting a bribe/kickback in return for recommending the developer hire an unlicensed contractor. The suit resulted in the client recovering $495,000 from the project architect
- As counsel to one of the largest public entities in Nevada, Mr. Balkenbush successfully invalidated an arbitration clause in the parties’ contract related to a multi-million dollar construction dispute
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Volunteer/Mentor, 2014-present
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada’s Children’s Advocacy Program, Volunteer Attorney, 2013-present